Richard has been practicing law for over 24-years with a current specialty in advising businesses and keeping them in compliance within the ever-changing legal system. Listen in and discover the most common mistakes internet businesses make when first getting started, as well as how to prepare your company for legal claims and how respond to them when they do arise.
Dave Hamilton and Shannon Jean dig deep with Richard when discussing the DMCA and how to use it to protect your business, along with the requirements to insure you’re compliant. We discuss why it’s important to sit down once per year with your attorney to talk about the weak parts of your business that may be exposing you to risk, and why full disclosure with your attorney is critically important.
You’ll also learn about the new EU General Data Protection Regulations that you might be shocked to learn could impact your online business and we spend some time discussing the right way to handle recurring billing of your customers to not run afoul of the law.
Listen in and then jump over to the Small Business Support Group to discuss the show, ask questions and help other Small Business Owners like yourself.
- 00:00:00 Small Business Show #155 for Wednesday, January 24, 2018
- 00:00:49 Interview with Attorney Richard Chapo – Internet Business Lawyer
- 00:01:36 From sabbatical to Internet Law
- 00:02:46 Lack of getting legal advice – most common issue for online businesses
- 00:05:14 Charge ahead!
- 00:06:17 Common problem: Terms & Conditions
- 00:08:48 Today’s Internet age is “The Empire Strikes Back”
- 00:09:52 Sit down once/year with your attorney
- 00:11:03 General Data Protection Regulation
- 00:13:10 Hidden trap with the fair use defense
- 00:13:32 SPONSOR: Meet the PDFpen family – Powerful PDF tools for Mac and iOS. Edit, sign, scan, and OCR at your Mac or on the go.
- 00:16:17 Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA)
- Are websites liable for copyright infringement for content uploaded by their users?
- 00:17:32 Is Facebook liable for any infringement by users?
- 00:19:43 You must now designate an agent for DMCA complaints
- 00:21:32 DMCA = Guilty until proven innocent.
- When you receive a takedown notice, take down the content first
- 00:24:05 Dave shares a tidbit when he was fought with the DMCA
- 00:26:08 Recurring billing can be an issue
- You must put up notice re: charges, contact info and how to cancel
- 00:30:09 On the Internet, charging by the hour doesn’t work as well
- 00:32:39 As an attorney: I care about the weaknesses
- 00:34:30 Resist your natural temptation to ignore your business’s faults
- 00:34:59 Meet with your attorney once per year
- 00:35:10 SBS 155 Outtro