Do you run your Small Business from your home? Are you tempted to wear sweatpants everyday and move your desk close to the refrigerator for convenience? Join us today on the Small Business Show to get some great tips on how to stay motivated and disciplined while working from home.
Long-time home office Small Business owner Dave Hamilton answers questions today as Shannon transitions from going into the office each day (24-years!) to working out of his home. We discuss finding a routine that works for you, checking in with your remote employees or partners each morning and the power of regular video meetings in Google Hangouts.
We also spend time going over ways to manage remote interruptions, since no one can “see” that you’re busy when they ask for your help, using Slack reminders and the importance of actually combing your hair before you start work each day.
Join us for these topics and more and then jump over to the Small Business Show Support Group to comment and offer us your own tips about working from home.
- 00:00:00 Small Business Show #135 September 6, 2017
- 00:01:19 Blue… and Normal
- 00:02:39 No office is a joy… until it’s not!
- 00:05:47 Finding a routine that helps motivate and discipline your workflow
- Slack: Good morning! Water Cooler
- 00:10:41 Regular, Virtual meetings with your team or co-workers – facetime is important.
- Google Hangouts, Skype, FaceTime. Keeping you connected
- 00:12:03 Get More Done: 18 Tips for Telecommuters
- 00:12:50 The Pomodoro Method with Bob Levitus on Small Business Show
- 00:13:21 Recognizing that remote team members don’t know if you’re available and may contact you at the worst time.
- 00:17:25 Slack Reminders to keep you (and your team) on task when you are tied up and need to come back later to review
- 00:19:52 Get dressed. No Sweatpants! Comb your hair, bro!
- 00:22:42 Set clear boundaries and work hours for family and friends
- 00:25:21 Use the kitchen wisely!
- 00:28:59 Watch that your routine doesn’t become a rut
- 00:30:00 Make yourself accountable to YOU
- 00:31:26 SBS Outtro