Do you take the time out to attend Small Business conferences and trade shows? Would you like to make some powerful connections, meet some great people and renew your energy? Listen in to episode 136 of the Small Business Show to find out how you can have all this and more!
Shannon just returned from the Paypal cNow conference in Chicago and he’s ready to talk about the people he met and what he learned. The conference included roughly 50 Small Business owners from across the country that got a chance to meet Paypal, Braintree and Venmo executives to see their latest “Contextual Commerce” payment products and sit in on some excellent Small Business discussions.
Dave and Shannon spend some time discussing the power of attending these types of events and why you should be seeking them out as part of your business development system and the building of your personal brand. You’ll learn how to engage with the speakers, make long term connections and how to work your way onto discussion panels and to ultimately become an invited guest.
Shannon also discusses his meeting with Marcus Lemonis from The Profit and why Marcus thinks that we all need to be more vulnerable when managing our employees, customers and suppliers. We wrap up the show with a discussion of “handshake deals”, Working Agreements and how to sniff out the people that just want to make you their race horse.
Join us on this episode of the Small Business Show for all this and more! After you listen, click over to our Facebook Small Business Support group to ask questions and comment on the show.
- 00:00:00 Small Business Show #136 September 13, 2017
- 00:00:43 Paypal cNow (C for commerce) conference in Chicago
- 00:03:46 The power of attending conferences
- 00:09:12 Don’t give in to feelings of inadequacy
- 00:10:55 Engage when you’re there
- 00:13:02 Contact us! firstname.lastname@example.org
- 00:13:14 Marcus Lemonis from The Profit
- 00:15:05 The Most Important Word in Business
- 00:18:03 Digging into vulnerability
- 00:20:34 Confidence erodes empathy
- 00:22:07 Be careful using other people’s tools
- 00:24:36 Lack of confidence… breeds lack of confidence!
- 00:26:10 Maybe “we’re struggling here” is OK to say
- 00:28:47 Handshakes vs. Lies
- 00:31:50 Working agreements
- 00:34:20 Beware the pitchers!
- 00:37:12 SBS Outtro