If you own a Small Business, it’s bound to happen: a long-time employee drops a bomb by telling you they are leaving to take a position at another company. How you react can have a dramatic impact both inside and outside your business. Your actions will send a message to both your employees’ and your customers.
Listen in for tips about not taking things personally, how to gauge the short and long-term impact, managing the timing of the employee’s departure, and why your customers are more concerned about who’s staying vs. who’s leaving.
After the show, stop by the Small Business Support Group to share your story and join the discussion!
- 00:00:00 Small Business Show #182 for Wednesday, August 1, 2018
- 00:01:37 Carr Fire
- 00:02:13 “Poor Me” is the wrong attitude
- 00:04:37 Surprise, I quit!
- 00:07:18 First question: Why? Can I control this? Do I want to?
- 00:09:24 Advice: Don’t take it personally!
- 00:12:48 Second question: What’s the short-term impact
- 00:14:35 Do they leave immediately?
- Do they continue to benefit your business?
- 00:23:01 Do you counter-offer?
- 00:27:42 Be authentic to be positive
- People don’t care about who left. They care about who *is* left.
- 00:32:49 Avoid comfort. Stay on edge.
- 00:35:14 Let us know your story! [email protected]
- 00:35:44 Loyalty defined. Differently.
- 00:39:32 A symphony of action!
- “I don’t need time. I need a deadline.”
- 00:40:27 SBS 182