“A pre-mortem — also known as a premortem — is a managerial strategy in which a manager imagines that a project or organization has failed, and then works backward to determine what potentially could lead to the failure of the project or organization.”
Can you see why this kind of freaks us out? Your Purveyor’s of Positivity, your Champions of the Charmed Life don’t like to let the concept of failure get in the way of their ideas. This has worked for both Dave and Shannon for decades, launching new businesses and letting new ideas develop before they get squashed by negativity. But, we think this Pre-Mortem idea has some real value and on this episode of the Small Business Show, we turn the tables and tear into our own show using the pre-mortem technique.
So, how did we do? Listen in to find out and then jump over to our Support Group to share your thoughts on using a pre-mortem on your own business.
Podcast Chapters & Timestamps
- 00:00:00 Small Business Show #105 February 8, 2017
- 00:03:40 A pre-mortem
- 00:05:14 Is it a good idea?
- 00:06:18 Balancing optimism and pessimism
- 00:07:26 Pre-mortem of the Small Business Show
- 00:09:35 Danger: no financial gain
- Grow listeners to grow sponsors
- 00:12:27 Direct vs. Indirect revenue
- 00:15:17 1,000 True Fans
- 00:18:25 Danger: Not seeing the numbers
- 00:22:52 Voicing doubts without being a naysayer
- 00:28:07 Outtro
Harvard Business Review: Performing a Project Premortem
Riskology: The Pre-Mortem: A Simple Technique to Save Any Project From Failure