Running your Small Business is not always glamorous and full of inspiration. There’s going to be days (weeks, months) that you have to resign yourself to slogging through the muck, solving what may seem like insurmountable problems, all the while keeping yourself and your team motivated to make it through the day. On this episode of the Small Business Show, Dave Hamilton and Shannon Jean discuss adversity, sharing their own stories and offering some tips on how to endeavor to persevere.
On a recent episode, we focused on the Charmed Life that can be created by owning one or more Small Businesses. We got called out a bit in the Small Business Support Group from a business owner that was frustrated that we were forgetting about the struggle that many Small Business owners face each day, that living a “Charmed Life” just wasn’t an option for these folks. Based on that feedback, this episode focuses on the struggle, grinding it out each day when you need to and how to power through tough times. All the while, we remind the commenter that they were already creating their own Charmed Life by being able to make their own decisions, to control their own destiny by solving those problems, by battling through the struggle.
Join us today for a special episode of the Small Business Show, then visit the Support Group to take part in the conversation!
- 00:00:00 Small Business Show #168 for Wednesday, April 25, 2018
- 00:01:05 Shannon and Dave get called out!
- 00:02:04 All About that Grind
- 00:04:31 Parable: The Flat-Panel TV Débâcle
- Buy everyone’s problems
- 00:07:41 Tip: Be able to adapt
- 00:08:21 Scott, on Facebook: “Some of us haven’t gotten there yet!”
- 00:08:53 Parable: “This will put us out of business.”
- 00:12:44 When your self-worth is wrapped up in your business’s success
- 00:13:34 Tip: Bull-headed persistence
- Endeavor to Persevere
- 00:18:46 Parable: The sleep-aid story
- 00:20:14 Tip: Embrace the stress (at an acceptable level)
- 00:21:10 “Find other people’s Problems” (translates to Dave’s “Take People’s Headaches Away”)
- 00:22:48 SPONSOR: Visit TextExpander.com/podcast for 20% off your first year.
- 00:26:02 The grind never ends
- 00:26:31 Do you want to hear Dave and Shannon whine? email@example.com
- 00:28:01 Tip: Accept the definition of insanity
- 00:28:58 Tip: Try new things and document them
- 00:29:43 Tip: Force yourself to look at what’s not working
- 00:31:33 Tip: Accept good fortune, but don’t count on it!
- 00:33:53 Tip: Keep yourself mentally strong
- 00:38:14 Tip: Embrace small successes
- 00:42:17 Tip: Program your moist robot
- 00:42:54 Tip: Look in the mirror, even when things are going bad
- 00:44:55 SBS 168 Outtro