What’s in a name? Everything when it comes to your company or brand! As founders, owners and stewards of Small Businesses, we all know how important your company or brand name is. Joining us today on the Small Business Show, Mike Pile, Founder of Uppercase Branding discusses his own business as well as sharing tips and methods for coming up with great names.
Mike discusses how prioritizing tasks and projects when you are the boss can be one of the most challenging adjustments after leaving a corporate job, along with being sure to disconnect at the end of the day to keep your creative juices flowing. We then move on to discussing how Uppercase got its start and what marketing methods worked the best for them. You might be surprised to hear what traditional methods produced the best results.
Later on the show, we spend time talking about how to come up with a great name for your business or brand with some examples of good and bad.
- 00:00:00 Small Business Show #110 March 15, 2017
- 00:01:09 Mike Pile from Uppercase Branding joins us today
- 00:01:50 “Verbal Identity Consultancy”
- 00:03:42 Pulling out stories from companies
- 00:05:18 Prioritizing tasks and projects
- 00:06:43 Being your own boss: scary and liberating
- 00:07:49 Disconnecting to keep your creativity flowing
- 00:10:21 Marketing YOUR B2B Marketing business – using existing connections
- 00:13:43 A gift in the mail
- 00:18:09 “Brainstorming is a waste of time” Strategy and discovery
- 00:23:09 “A great name won’t help a bad business model” A bad name can be a distraction
- 00:25:09 Vetting your name is just as valuable as creating one
- 00:26:23 Norman Awards – Great new brand names.
- Good: “Adwash” – Samsung. Not so good: “Scion” – Hotels
- 00:30:07 Set a big stretch goal