We often ask our guests on the Small Business Show to tell us about their biggest mistake in business, as well as what advice they would have given themselves if they could go back to when they were just getting started. A very common response: Better accounting, better bookkeeping! On today’s episode, we are thrilled to have Justin Sisley of Digidern Bookkeeping as our guest to discuss the how and why of keeping track of your cash, as well as lessons from his own business experiences.
The show begins with a discussion about what makes a good bookkeeper, how NOT to choose one and what to look for when searching for someone to help guide your accounting decisions. We quickly move into business strategy topics such as pricing your services, replicating yourself to grow (can you?) and the best marketing practices for service and consulting businesses.
As the show proceeds, we get back into some accounting basics, such as not doing your own payroll and how critically important it is to keep up with your bookkeeping so you can catch mistakes, problems and opportunities early.
Join Dave Hamilton and Shannon Jean on episode 112 of the Small Business Show for these topics and more. Then, head over to the Small Business Show support group on Facebook to meet Justin and get your bookkeeping questions answered.
- 00:00:00 Small Business Show #112 March 29, 2017
- 00:00:55 Justin Sisley from Digidern Bookkeeping
- 00:03:11 How did that begin?
- 00:05:04 Anyone can be a bookkeeper… what separates you?
- 00:06:19 Take someone’s headaches away
- 00:08:00 Target the bootstrappers!
- 00:09:26 You can’t replicate yourself, don’t try!
- 00:12:18 Pricing yourself: show that you’re serious
- 00:13:42 Marketing yourself as a solopreneur consultant
- Using social media to connect with small business owners – find businesses that you are passionate about.
- 00:16:39 You’re in a niche, target another niche
- 00:18:14 Stay the course, or use the shotgun approach?
- Following different business ideas
- Designated Driver business concept – first business.
- 00:21:21 Putting off Accounting – #1 mistake
- 00:23:34 Don’t do your own Payroll!
- 00:25:40 Back in time with advice! Resist the shiny objects – focus on your core business
- 00:28:46 Uniquely Qualified … Unfair Competitive Advantage!
- 00:30:37 Finding Justin