We all aspire to greatness. Marketers have used this urge to be a better person, to own the best thing, to achieve the most and to be unique to create iconic brands that we all recognize. Just what is aspirational marketing and is there a way to use to in your Small Business?
Aspirational marketing involves striving in a long-lasting and meaningful way to achieve or become something in particular. This urge for something better or unique is so strong that people will make terrible financial decisions to be seen driving a particular brand of car, wearing a particular brand of clothing, carrying a particular brand of handbag.
Think gym memberships in January – they are selling an aspirational story of what you COULD become, if only you will signup for a membership.
Think fashion shows by companies like Chanel, Gucci or Victoria Secret – they are trying to drive customers to their brand and stores that aspire to look something like they see on the runway – even if that’s impossible.
Recently your hosts Shannon Jean and Dave Hamilton been thinking a lot about aspirational marketing and how Small Businesses might use some of these tactics to engage with our customers on a deeper, emotional level, to attract new customers and ultimately increase our sales.
Join us today for this episode of the Small Business Show to discuss how Aspirational Marketing can help your business. After the show, join us on the Small Business Support Group to share your story.
- 00:00:00 Small Business Show #211 for Wednesday, February 20, 2019
- 00:00:57 Send in your feedback: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 00:01:50 What is Aspirational Marketing?
- 00:05:23 Show people something they won’t buy
- 00:07:37 SPONSOR: Abby Connect. Get $95 off your first bill at AbbyConnect.com/sbs
- 00:10:26 SPONSOR: ExpressVPN – Take back your Internet privacy TODAY and find out how you can get 3 months free, go to ExpressVPN.com/SBS.
- 00:12:34 Analyze your company’s product or service
- What can your customer achieve with your product or service?
- How can your customer create a better self with your product or service?
- How does your product or service make your customer feel unique?
- How can your product or service make your customer feel smarter?
- How can you product or service make your customer feel healthier?
- 00:14:31 The feeling of empowerment
- 00:16:25 Don’t sweat the scratches and dings
- 00:20:00 Sell the experience
- 00:22:37 The value of artificial scarcity
- 00:24:28 If you’re the product, make yourself scarce!
- 00:26:42 Let your customers own a piece of your aspiration
- 00:29:12 The Yeti Cooler Aspiration
- 00:31:04 SBS 211 Outtro