One of the most challenging times when developing a new product or service or when starting a new business is when you are close to being ready to launch. You are at the 80-90% completion point, but you just want to make a few changes, add another feature, run one more test.
This is the point where things can go terribly wrong.
That feature you want to add, that change you want to make, that test you want to run, those things can derail the entire process and stop you from succeeding.
On this episode of the Small Business Show, your hosts Dave Hamilton and Shannon Jean share tips and techniques for powering through this “last mile” to deliver an MVP by not letting yourself get derailed by perfection. Join us and discover what has worked for us, then come share what has worked for you on the Small Business Support Group!
- 00:00:00 Small Business Show #232 for Wednesday, July 17, 2019
- 00:01:03 Beware Customer Tunnel-Vision
- 00:06:44 SPONSOR: Linode. Instantly deploy and manage an SSD server in the Linode Cloud. Get a server running in seconds with your choice of Linux distro, resources, and choice of 10 node locations. Visit Linode.com/SBS and use promo code sbs2019 to start with a $20 credit.
- 00:08:37 Minimum Viable Product: Powering Through the Last Mile
- 00:09:30 Perfect is the enemy of good
- 00:10:43 Embracing the fear of change
- Embrace iteration
- 00:15:44 Define the MVP and Define future versions
- The “Wouldn’t It Be Great If” board
- 00:20:55 Fostering a culture of change
- 00:22:19 SPONSOR: The Alternative Board. TAB is a group of business owners & experts in your area that you can turn to for advice. Visit TheAlternativeBoard.com/SBS and get the “25 Timeless Principles of Exceptional Businesses” e-book free!
- 00:24:02 SPONSOR: go.co – Get online with your .CO domain today. Register for just $5 and get 3 months of website builder and hosting services FREE at go.co/sbs.
- 00:25:16 Stagnation of Perfection
- 00:26:19 Managing the risk of launching imperfection
- 00:29:03 Plan for a soft launch
- 00:29:50 Communicate humility
- 00:31:14 Humility lets you take more risk
- 00:33:06 “We’re building decks, we’re not building a piano”
- 00:34:34 Accept sunk costs
- 00:35:30 Shannon’s Current Status
- 00:40:33 SBS 232 Outtro