Longtime listeners of the Small Business Show know that we embrace optimism with a passion. However, today we’re talking about failure. Specifically, why Small Businesses fail and how to avoid it.
Dave and Shannon jump right into today’s Small Business Show with a discussion of your ROE, or Return on Energy for projects within your business, or new ideas that may not make you a profit, but can make you a better person and help to increase your energy levels throughout your Revenue Stack. Then, it’s on to a detailed discussion of a report published by Small Business Trends that focuses on why businesses fail.
The great news is that there’s never been a better time to start a new business, however, studies show that about half of all Small Businesses will fail within the first 5-years. Half! We think that number is much too high, so we’re digging into this report to help you avoid the pitfalls of the “other” 50% of Small Business owners that won’t make it to their 6th anniversary.
Listen in to episode 126 of the Small Business Show to learn how to adapt, how to change, when it’s time to trust your gut and how to build a culture of change within your company.
Join us, then click over to the Small Business Show Support Group to share your comments!
- 00:00:00 Small Business Show #126 July 5, 2017
- 00:00:54 Small Business Support Group
- 00:01:10 “Return on Energy” – ROE
- 00:03:16 Always chasing $100 bills
- 00:04:05 Half of all Small Businesses Fail Within 5 Years
- 00:05:00 Restaurants do not fail more than other businesses
- 00:05:47 Don’t make assumptions that customers aren’t going to like your product
- 00:06:30 If you’re not adapting, you’re failing
- 00:08:03 You’re making a choice not to change, too.
- 00:08:47 Trusting your gut
- 00:11:36 Building a culture of change
- 00:13:30 A Players hire A Players… B Players hire C Players
- But if an employee can’t adapt, you need to leave them behind
- 00:17:21 Transparency with your employees
- 00:19:17 99.7% of all businesses in the US are “small”
- 00:20:50 Only 19% are outcompeted
- Make your customer experience unbelievable!
- Cash is King
- 00:24:33 P&Ls are living documents
- 00:25:10 Don’t ignore your customers
- 00:26:40 Listen to your customers
- 00:36:53 SBS Outtro