Start a business and you become a leader. Not just for employees, but to your customers, suppliers and other partners. What type of leadership style creates the most successful Small Businesses? Join your hosts Dave Hamilton and Shannon Jean today to learn about different leadership styles and why you’ll need more than one type for success.
Should you be a constant cheerleader, or a steady, persistent force that your followers count on? We’ll discuss why you’ll need to be both and when it’s appropriate to use each style. You’ll hear about prioritizing relationships over tasks and how you’ll get better results from your followers this way. Shannon discusses his favorite “Mirror vs. Window” analogy for praise and accountability and Dave discusses the differences between leadership and just working hard.
We share our tips about granting autonomy, how ethics play a role in what your followers think of you and how persistence needs to be your super power. We wrap up the show with a discussion about emptying the trash and cooking lunch for your followers – always fun topics.
Listen in and then share your own leadership tips at the Small Business Support Group.
- 00:00:00 Small Business Show #190 for Wednesday, September 26, 2018
- 00:00:57 Better than the alternative
- 00:02:08 The definition of retirement: Dave’s Ice Cream Truck!
- 00:05:49 No results for Leadership!
- 00:06:36 SPONSOR: Timing, for anyone billing their hours. Visit timingapp.com/smallbusiness
- 00:09:13 What type of Leadership creates a successful small business?
- Leadership vs. Just Working Hard
- 00:12:23 Setting the priorities: Dashboard-level view of your business
- 00:13:17 Categorize problems: systemic or one-offs
- 00:13:45 Cheerleader vs. Steady Hand that Leads through Crisis
- 00:14:48 Leverage silence
- 00:15:28 Spin your perspective
- 00:18:33 Always make a decision!
- 00:21:12 Openly praise, privately correct
- Build a Safe, Trusting Environment
- 00:23:09 SPONSOR: New Square Payroll App – Everything you can do on a desktop you can do in the app. Visit Square.com/Go/SBS for More
- 00:25:10 Small Business Support Group
- 00:25:31 Managing your management: focusing on tasks vs. relationships
- “These people worry about the business more than I do.”
- 00:27:23 Developing your people
- Adjust roles to take advantage of skills and strengths
- Take a genuine interest to learn who your employees are
- Create an environment you enjoy!
- Ask: “Do you need anything?”
- 00:32:11 Pay attention to the new person
- 00:33:23 Extend financial autonomy
- 00:34:17 Monitor your ethics
- 00:36:21 Persistence – Communicate during crisis
- 00:38:17 Be the janitor and the cook!
- 00:39:18 SBS 190 Outtro